After installing OSX 10.8 “Mountain Lion” on my Mac which has an Atheros AR9280 AirPort-card, I am not able to get any WiFi-connection, and when I click on the (piece-of-pie shaped) AirPort-icon in the upper menubar in the Finder, it indicates “WiFi: no hardware installed”. How can I fix this ?
—- updated answer ——
—– original answer ——
Thanks to Thomas and Josh, I can now present to you the solution to the “WiFi: no hardware installed”-error in OSX 10.8 “Mountain Lion” :
if you encounter the “WiFi: no hardware installed”-error after installing OSX 10.8, do this :
– go to [your hard disk] –> System –> Library –> Extentions –> IO80211Family.kext
– CTRL-click on the IO80211Family.kext and select “Show Package Contents” from the pulldown menu
– then go to Contents –> Info.plist and drag the Info.plist to the Desktop
– CTRL-click on the Info.plist (the one on the Desktop) and select “Open with –> TextEdit” from the pulldown menu
– then, inside the Info.plist file, find and delete these line (found near the end) :
– then select File –> Save to save the edited version of the Info.plist on your Desktop
– then, drag the Info.plist from the Desktop back onto the original version that is in System –> Library –> Extentions –> IO80211Family.kext –> Contents
– in the warning window that pops up, click on “Authenticate” and type your administrator login and password
…that should be it !
now your AR9280 should be recognized by OSX 10.8 “Mountain Lion”, and the “WiFi: no hardware installed”-error should be gone
the original solution by Thomas (based on the directions from Josh) can be found here :