We have a Google Nest Hub setup in our home and we are going to buy some Philips HUE lamps somewhere in the near future. Do we need the Philips HUE Bridge to control the HUE lamps from the Nest Hub or not ?
The added value of using the Philips HUE Bridge over using Bluetooth :
- connect up to 50 HUE lights (vs. max. 10 using Bluetooth)
- connect any Zigbee-compatible smart light from any other brand (vs. Philips HUE lights only using Bluetooth)
- connect to any connected Zigbee-compatible smart light in or around your home (vs. connecting only to Philips HUE lights within ca. 10m using Bluetooth)
- control your HUE Bridge and connected smart lights from anywhere in the world (vs. connecting to local Philips HUE lights only
- option to use Apple HomeKit to control your HUE Bridge and connected smart lights (vs. no Apple HomeKit compatibility using Bluetooth : Google Home or Amazon Alexa only)
Here’s how to set this up without a Philips HUE Bridge :
- make sure you have setup your Philips HUE lights in Google Home.app
- swipe down from the top of the screen on your Google Nest Hub
- in the pull down window, you will see your HUE lights listed
- click on the HUE lights you want to adjust and adjust the lights as you wish
- you can even select routines if you have set them up in Google Home.app (like daily routines to use when you’re out of home)
That’s it !