Someone sent me a bunch of photos that I need to review. I have them in a folder, but I don’t want to import them into Photos.app, Keynote or PowerPoint or even Preview.app to have a look at them and select the most important ones.
Is there any option or simple app to do this ?
Yes there is, there is an option for this in macOS (and OSX) called Quick Look. In previous versions of OSX and Mac OSX the Quick Look option was visible in any Finder window as a ‘button with an eye icon on it’, in macOS it is slightly hidden in the pulldown menu that opens when you click the ‘button with a sprocket (gear) icon on it’.
There’s even a shortcut for this :
- open a Finder window
- open the folder with the photos in it
- select the photos you want to review (hold the CMD-key while picking photos one-by-one, hold the SHIFT-key to select multiple photos in a row, or press the CMD + A key combo to select all photos)
- then press the SPACEBAR to view all selected photos as a slideshow
- or press the ALT + SPACE key combo to view all selected photos as a full screen slideshow
- note : the file names are shown with each photo, so if you need to review and select photos you will know which photos you have chosen