update : this solution should also work for the new 4th generation AppleTV (2015)
I just bought an AppleTV 3 and I want to connect it to my flatscreen 26″ LCD-TV, a MyCom MC2600LT (it’s actually a rebranded/white-label DT-3003X which has internationally also been sold under the Daewoo and Grundig Xentia brand, and probably more).
Even tough the TV is able to display HD-video up to 1080i and computer-display resolutions up to 1280×768 pixels at 60Hz, it does not have an HDMI input, neither a digital audio input (a.k.a. “Toslink”).
The only input options are :
– DVI digital video + 3.5mm (a.k.a. “jack”) analog audio
– VGA analog video + 3.5mm (a.k.a. “jack”) analog audio
– Component YPbPr analog video + stereo analog audio (5 plugs, a.k.a. “RCA” or “tulip”)
– S-video analog video (S-video plug) + stereo analog audio (a.k.a. “RCA” or “tulip”)
– SCART analog video + audio (SCART plug)
How do I connect my AppleTV 3 to this TV-set ?
Even though it might seem the most obvious to connect the AppleTV’s HDMI-output to the TV’s DVI-input, since HDMI and DVI are 100% video-compatible, this comes with 2 problems :
– DVI has no audio, so you will have to connect the audio separately ; in this case that would require a DAC (digital-analog-converter) for your audio since your TV has no digital audio input
– DVI does not support HDCP-encryption as HDMI does, so any ‘copyright-protected’ HDMI content will be blocked when connected to DVI…
So… do not try to use the DVI-input, but use the Component YPbPr connection, especially since the digital-to-analog video-conversion gets rid of the HDCP-limitations for you also !
This converter cable is the most elegant option that will do the trick for you :
LogiLink HDMI to YPbPr & Audio Converter Cable (2m) [Amazon.com]
LogiLink HDMI to YPbPr & Audio Converter Cable (2m) [Amazon.co.uk]
…it turns out that the HDMI-output of the AppleTV 3 is supplying enough power to power the built-in converter, so you don’t need to connect the USB-power cable.
For anyone interested, here’s a link to the Dutch manual of the 26″ MyCom LCD-TV MC2600LT (a.k.a. DT-3003X) :
If you have an HD-Ready flatscreen TV and you want to connect an AppleTV, your best option is to use the HDMI-to-YPbPr converter-cable mentioned above.
But… in some cases these might also be interesting :
An HDMI-to-VGA&stereo converter-cable :
LogiLink HDMI to VGA & Audio Converter Cable (2m) [Amazon.com]
LogiLink HDMI to VGA & Audio Converter Cable (2m) [Amazon.co.uk]
An HDMI-to-HDMI&stereo converter-cable : [so this splits the audio from the HDMI-video signal and converts it into a separate analog stereo (2x RCA) signal, but beware that the output video signal is 720p, 1080p and 1080i only, which is problematic for most HD-ready flatscreen TVs, especially when combined with an HDMI-to-DVI converter] :
LogiLink HDMI to HDMI & Analog Audio Converter Cable (2m) [Amazon.co.uk]