I want to change the icon of my hard drive into an icon-sized picture of my Mac.
How do I do that ?
For (nearly) every model of Mac, iPhone, iPad & iPod, the ‘official’ icon is already included inside OSX. If you want to use it, e.g. as an icon for a hard drive or folder, or as a profile pic on a website (a.k.a. an Avatar), you just have to did a little inside OSX…
– in the Finder, select “Go” in the top Menu-bar, and select “Go to folder” from the pulldown-list
– in the screen that opens, paste the following line :
– now the folder that holds all Apple’s hardware icons and system icons will open
Note : be sure not to mess things up in this folder ! do not delete anything ! deleting or messing up could mean you will have to reinstall OSX !
– in this folder the hardware icon of (nearly) any Mac can be found, the names start with “com.apple.”
– find the Mac-icon you’re looking for, some examples :
aluminium iMac 27″ = com.apple.imac-unibody-27
black MacBook 13″ = com.apple.macbook-black
MacBook Air 11″ (2010 and newer) = com.apple.macbookair-11-unibody
MacBook Pro 13″ (with DVD-burner) = com.apple.macbookpro-13-unibody
– then right-click (CTRL-click) on it and select “Copy” from the popup-menu
– then close the folder (to avoid messing things up, keep this folder open no longer than strictly needed)
– then return to your Desktop (in the Finder) and right-click (CTRL-click) anywhere there
– then choose “Paste” from the popup-menu, and on your Desktop a .ICNS-file with the selected Mac as it’s icon will appear
– then, on the Desktop, right-click (CTRL-click) the icon of your hard drive (normally a generic hard drive icon named “Macintosh HD”) and select “Get Info” from the popup-menu
– then in the “Get Info”-window that opens, select the icon so it will get a blue (selection) glow around it
– then drag&drop the .ICNS-file from your Desktop onto the icon in the “Get Info”-window
that’s it !
Note #1 :
if you would also like to give your generically named Macintosh HD a different name, go to the chapter “Name & Extension:” in the “Get Info”-window ; if the small triangle icon in front of it is pointing to the right, click on it to let it point down and the chapter will expand to reveal an entry box where you can type the name you want to give to your hard drive
Note #2 :
if you do not see your hard drive on your Desktop, go to “Finder” in the top Menu-bar and select “Preferences…” from the pulldown-menu ; in the “Finder Preferences”-window that opens, click on the “General”-tab/icon and put a checkmark at “Hard disks”