I have a Mac that can be upgraded to a more recent version of OSX (or macOS), but I never did so I’m still on MacOSX 10.7 Lion.
Today I need to install an application that needs a more recent version of OSX/macOS to run, so I need to upgrade.
I can find various new versions of OSX/macOS available for free through the Mac App Store application (which I have since I had MacOSX 10.6 Snow_Leopard), but I get an error saying that those won’t run.
Where can I get an official version of OSX 10.8 Mountain_Lion (or newer) ?
If you have either MacOSX 10.6 Snow_Leopard or MacOSX 10.7 Lion installed on your Mac, your only option to upgrade your operating system to a newer version is to upgrade to OSX 10.8 Mountain_Lion first.
Here’s how to :
- purchase OSX 10.8 Mountain_Lion from the official Apple-website here : www.apple.com/shop/product/D6377/os-x-mountain-lion
- then wait to receive 2 eMails ; one including a PDF and one that includes a password
- open the Mac App Store application
- go to Featured –> Quick Links –> Redeem –> Redemption Code
- typ the 12-digit Redemption Code from PDF in your eMail
- then, wait for the download to complete (view in Mac App Store –> Purchases)
- then, unlock
That’s it – enjoy !