I am using the IP Scanner (and LANscan) software to check my network performance whenever I encounter network problems. I have found that my AppleTV keeps getting multiple IP addresses from my router using DHCP…
What is going on and how can I fix this ?
The most probable cause of your problem is that you are connection over WiFi and the AppleTV is positioned somewhere where WiFi-reception isn’t optimal, and where multiple base stations are giving an equally strong WiFi-signal, which is causing the AppleTV to constantly switch from a connection to the one WiFi-base station to the other and back again.
There is a slight chance that you have this problem when connecting over Ethernet LAN-cable also… in that case you might have some interference or data-loss on the cable which usually isn’t problematic, but still is sub-optimal…
The best and easiest way to fix this is to give the AppleTV a fixed IP-address.
To do so, do this (in tvOS 7.4 – for other versions of tvOS the actual screens may differ) :
- unplug the AC-power cable from your AppleTV
- restart your router (or unplug it from power for 30 seconds)
- plug the AC-power cable back into your AppleTV
- turn on your TV (the one that’s connected to your AppleTV)
- turn on your AppleTV
- goto Settings (the app that has a Sprocket/Gear-icon)
- in the Settings-window, click on General
- in the General-window, click on Network
- in the Network-window, click on WiFi (or Ethernet if you use it)
- in the WiFi-window (or Ethernet-window), click on Configure IP
- in the ConfigureIP-window, make a photo of all settings or write them down (because this exact info is what you are going to enter manually), then click on Manual
- in the IP-configuration window, roll the dials until the IP is set, then click OK
- in the Subnetmask-configuration window, roll the dials until the Subnetmask is set, then click OK
- in the Router-configuration window, roll the dials until the Router IP is set, then click OK
- in the DNS-configuration window, roll the dials until the DNS is set (or use 008.008.008.008), then click OK
- then wait for the setting so be accepted while the wheel spins
- then exit, exit, exit until you’re back on the Home screen
That’s it !
Note : if you want to be completely sure that your AppleTV has accepted all settings, you can unplug and replug your AppleTV from power, but that is not as important as it used to be in older versions of tvOS – and you need to check afterwards in Settings to be completely sure