I just upgraded to a new iPhone that should be able to do animoji, but when I start up iMessage and click on the ‘new message’ icon to start a new conversation, the AppStore-icon stays greyed-out, and when I click it the toolbar with the Monkey-button (the animoji-button) doesn’t appear…
How can I activate animoji in iMessage ?
You might encounter this problem especially if you just upgraded from an older iPhone to a new iPhone X, XS or XR.
To solve this problem, do this :
- on your iPhone, open the Settings app
- then go to Messages
- make sure that ‘Send as SMS’ is switched OFF
- then swipe-up to exit the Settings app
- open the iMessage app
- click on the ‘new message’ -icon (top right ; the pen&paper-icon)
- type any addressee in the ‘To:’-field
- now the extra toolbar with the Monkey-button (animoji-button) will appear
- clear the ‘To:’-field so you won’t accidentally send a message to someone
- swipe-up to exit the iMessage app
- open the Settings app
- go to Messages
- switch ‘Send as SMS’ back ON if you want
- exit the Settings app
- …and from now on, you will have the animoji available in iMessage
that’s it !