I just received a message with an animated picture in it, that I want to save on my Mac to maybe send it to someone else later on. I thought it would be an animated-GIF file, but it turns out to be a .webp-file when I save it to my Mac.
Is there a way to convert this .webp animation to an animated .gif ?
Yes, and it is rather simple, just do this :
- on your Mac, right-click on the icon of the .webp-file
- in the popup-list that appears, choose “Get Info”
- in the “Get Info” window that opens, goto “Name & Extension” and replace the “.webp” extension by “.gif”
- and to make double-checking easier, uncheck “Hide Extension”
- then, close the “Get Info” window (by clicking the X-marked red dot top left)
- now, open the renamed file in Preview.app to check if it has multiple images inside
- then, open the renamed file in your webbrowser to check if the animation runs smoothly
That’s it !
Note : this works if the original file inside the .webp-animation is an animated GIF, it’s not sure if this will work for any .webp-animation