When I’m at home, I usually am able to see my Time Capsule in the paragraph named “Shared” in the shortlist on the left side of each Finder window.
But today, I don’t even see the “Shared” paragraph… How can I connect to my Time Capsule to view the files I’ve stored on it ?
There can be several causes for your problem, but these two are the most common :
#1. you have accidentally switched off viewing of shared volumes in the Finder preferences
to correct this :
– click on the Finder icon in the Dock (the half-blue-half-grey square-face icon)
– then, in the top menu bar, go to Finder –> Preferences
– in the window that opens, click on the “Sidebar” tab
– then, in the “Show these items in the sidebar:” list, make sure there’s a checkmark in front of “Connected servers” (in the “Shared” paragraph)
– then close the Finder Preferences and you’re done ; enjoy !
#2. OSX has automatically logged on to a different WiFi-network than your primary WiFi-network (getting logged on to your Guest-network can cause this problem for instance…)
to correct this :
– click on the AirPort/WiFi-icon in the top menu bar (the ‘piece of pie’-icon)
– in the list of available WiFi-networks that appears, click “Turn Wi-Fi off”
– then click on the AirPort/WiFi-icon in the top menu bar again, click “Turn Wi-Fi on”, wait for the available WiFi-networks to appear in the list, then select your primary WiFi-network to connect to
– this should resolve your problem, but to make sure your Mac won’t auto-connect to the wrong WiFi-network again, do this also :
– go to the Apple-icon (top-left in the top menu bar) –> System Preferences –> Network
– in the window that opens, select “Wi-Fi” in the shortlist on the left
– then click the “Advanced”-button
– in the window that opens, select the “Wi-Fi”-tab and scroll down though the list of “Preferred Networks:” until you come to the name of your Guest-network (or other WiFi-network you unwillingly connected to)
– then click on the ‘Minus-sign”-button to delete your Guest-network (or alike) from the list of preferred networks, then click the ‘OK’-button to save and exit
…that’s it !
Note : if situation #1. occurs, your Time Machine backup would still be operating, but if situation #2. is the case, Time Machine won’t be able to see your Time Capsule either, even if you have internet access…