We have a very basic Dutch TV subscription from Ziggo, which suits us fine even though it’s analog TV (or should I say SD, as compared to HD). Now I recently installed the ZiggoGo.app to be able to watch live TV on my iPhone and iPad also. I then noticed that some of the TV channels that I can watch for FREE on ZiggoGo (like History Channel) are not available on my regular living room TV…
Is there a way to get all ZiggoGo channels on my TV without upgrading my Ziggo subscription ?
Yes, there is.
Just use a Google Chromecast and on your TV and stream to it from the ZiggoGo.app.
To do so, you will need :
- any TV with an HDMI-port (any smartTV will do)
- a Google Chromecast – 1st generation or newer (*)
- an iPhone or iPad
- the GoogleHome.app
- the ZiggoGo.app
- any Ziggo TV subscription (even the most basic one will do)
(*) if you already own a Chromecast-imitation like an AnyCast-dongle or MiraCast-dongle you might be able to do this also, just don’t buy an imitation if you want to be sure that it works on forehand !
The way to do this is rather straightforward :
- plug the Chromecast into your TV’s HDMI-port
- make sure the Chromecast is connected to the same WiFi-network as your iPhone/iPad
- you can check this in the GoogleHome.app on your iPhone/iPad
- if you use a brandnew Chromecast you will need to install it first
- to do so, install the GoogleHome.app and follow the on-screen directions
- switch the TV’s input source to the Chromecast’s HDMI-port in the TV’s on-screen menu
- open the ZiggoGo.app on your iPhone/iPad
- you can get the ZiggoGo.app in the AppStore
- make sure you are logged in to your Ziggo account on the ZiggoGo.app
- the login name and password are the same ones you use to login on the Ziggo website – if you don’t have them at hand, contact Ziggo
- then, select the live TV channel you want to watch
- when the TV show starts, click on the Chromecast-icon (the rectangle with the WiFi-sign in the bottom-left corner) and click on your Chromecast in the popup-list
- now you are watching the ZiggoGo (digital) TV-channel on your TV
That’s it !