My son slipped on the stairs this weekend and his iPad mini (2nd generation) fell down the stairs… the cover prevented any damage to the iPad itself, but the screen is completely shattered since it hit a staircase pole head-on…
The iPad mini 2 is still working properly, but the screen is no longer use-able…
What solution do you suggest ?
The first thing to do is cover the broken screen with broad transparent tape, in overlapping lanes, to make sure you will not lose any glass pieces and keep your fingers and face safe when you use it.
Then, go to your local AppleStore or Apple Repair Center and ask them to check your iPad to get a price quote on the repair costs. If your iPad is still okay and only the screen has to be replaced, a repair at the AppleStore will probably cost you ca. €210, for that you will get a “remanufactured” unit of exactly the same specs as your original iPad, so an “Apple refurbished” / “factory refurbished” iPad mini 2 with a 6 month warranty.
Even from Apple’s point of view, that’s not a top deal, as they will try to talk you into buying a new iPad, iPad mini or iPad Pro, since the iPad mini 2 is quite outdated by today’s standards : it can run iOS 12, but not the latest iPadOS 13 (nor iOS 13).
So Apple is somewhat right : if this is your primary iPad, buy a new iPad or get yourself a 2nd-hand iPad that can run iPadOS 13.
And if it’s just a secondary iPad : fix it yourself.
If your screen is not completely shattered and the cracks in the screen are not blocking your view, they’re just hazardous to your fingers : buy a glass screen protector and put that over the original screen (after removing the transparent tape).
You can get glass screen protectors at various (online) shops, be sure to get tempered glass like Gorilla Glass or Panzer Glass.
This is one of the options available on Amazon :
Ailun Tempered Glass H9 Screen Protector for iPad mini 1/2/3 – 2 pack [buy on Amazon US] [buy on Amazon UK] [buy on Amazon DE]
However, if the cracks in your screen are preventing you from joyfully using your iPad mini 2 that is not your primary iPad, go and try to replace the screen yourself :
- start by watching a few screen replacement videos on YouTube to get familiar with the repair process and see if you’re up to it : iPad mini 2 screen replacement instruction video
- then, get yourself a new iPad replacement screen like these ones in either black or white :
- then use the online step-by-step repair guide from iFixit : iFixit iPad mini 2 screen replacement instruction manual
- NOTE : as you have seen in the instruction videos on Youtube, you do not need the special iFixit iOpener heating bag, you can also use a regular hairdryer to heat and soften the adhesive that’s behind the screen before prying off the screen
- if your screen is completely shattered, you will probably not be able to flip open the iPad mini’s screen as it will fall apart while trying to do so ; in that case, heat the screen adhesive until it softens and then start at any place where you can get the glass of piece by piece… just make sure you get out all pieces of glass, even the really tiny ones, and all the adhesive glue !
- the rest is quite straight forward : just follow the repair guide
that’s it !
good luck & enjoy 😉
NOTE : to make sure you will not run into this problem again, you might consider a (semi) military grade protection case for your iPad mini 2 : Supcase Beetle Defence Case with integrated Display Protector for iPad mini 1&2 [buy on Amazon US] [Buy on Amazon UK] [Buy on Amazon DE] …for a relatively old iPad these are quite expensive cases, so it just depends on how, how often and for how long you will use your iPad mini 2 to decide if that’s a good investment…