I have have just upgraded to a new MacBook Air M1 2020 (with an Apple M1 processor) running macOS 11.0 Big_Sur. Now, I am trying to get my Canon PIXMA MG3250 All-in-one printer-scanner to work with it… but even though I can get the printer function to work, when I want it to scan I get an error…
Installing the Canon MG3250 through System Preferecens > Printers & Scanners > Add Printer was really simple as it was immediately seen through Bonjour. After installing, the MG3250’s icon is listed on the left, and when I click it, the window opens where I can choose either the “Print” or the “Scan” tab. After choosing the later, I get the “Open scanner”-button, and when I click that, the built-in macOS scanner-app opens the “Scanner” window… which gives this error : “Failed to open a connection to the device (-121345)” each time I try. I just can’t get it to work.
What is wrong ?
When you get this error in this setup, you will probably have gotten an error saying “IJScanner3” also. Do this to fix it :
- goto the Canon UK website : https://www.canon.co.uk
- there, browse to the PIXMA MG3250’s Driver Support-page or go there directly using this link : https://www.canon.co.uk/support/consumer_products/products/fax__multifunctionals/inkjet/pixma_mg_series/pixma_mg3250.html?type=drivers&language=en&os=macos%2010.15%20(catalina)
- Yes, that’s right, even though you are running macOS 11.0 Big_Sur and Canon tells you there is no driver for such an advanced OS, the macOS 10.15 Catalina driver still works
- when you see the ICA Driver Ver. 4.0.0a (Mac) version listed, click the blue download button to download
- in your downloads folder, you will now find a file called miss-mac-ijscanner3-4_0_0-ea19_2.dmg
- click that file and it will mount an installer called Canon IJScanner3_040000.pkg
- click that file and the 2020-version of the scanner driver will be installed
- when done, make sure the System Preferences are closed
- then open System Preferences > Printers & Scanners > MG3250 again and click the “Open Scanner”-button
- now, the built-in scanner-app will open the Scanner-window again, but hits time without the error… so you are good to go !
That’s it !