I have a Canon CanoScan 5600F scanner that worked great with my previous Mac, but now I have upgraded to a new Mac running macOS 11.0 Big_Sur.
I’m looked on the Canon website and searched the internet, but there is no macOS 11.0 Big_Sur compatible driver available for this scanner.
Is there any way to use this CanoScan 5600F scanner in macOS 11.0 Big_Sur ?
Yes, there is :
- goto Canon’s US website : https://www.usa.canon.com
- choose Support > Scanners > Film & Negative Scanner > CanoScan 5600F
- or use this link :
- there, choose the “Drivers & Downloads” tab
- then, choose “macOS Mojave v10.14” as your operating system and “English” as your language
- then, choose the “Drivers” tab
- now, you will see 2 drivers listed :
- 5600F Scanner Driver Ver.14.11.5h (Mac) : msd_-mac_cs5600f-14_11_5h-ea8_2.dmg
- ICA Driver Ver.4.1.4a (Mac) : misd-mac-ijscanner2-4_1_4-ea21_3.dmg
- download both of them
- note that despite the fact that both are versions from 2018, these will still work with macOS 11.0 Big_Sur
- goto your downloads folder
- first, double-click on the file named msd_-mac_cs5600f-14_11_5h-ea8_2.dmg
- this will mount the ScanGear_CanoScan 5600F_141105.pkg
- again, click on that and version 14.11 of the ScanGear driver installer will open
- now, follow the on-screen directions and the latest ScanGear driver will be installed
- then, double-click on the file named misd-mac-ijscanner2-4_1_4-ea21_3.dmg
- this will mount the Canon IJScanner2_040104.pkg
- again, click on that and version 4.1.4 the IJScanner2 driver installer will open
- now, follow the on-screen directions and the latest IJScanner2 driver will be installed
- when done, goto System Preferences > Printers & Scanners
- if the CanoScan 5600F is already listed on the left, click it
- if not, click the +sign (plus-sign) to add the scanner first
- when done, click the CanoScan 5600F in the list on the left
- when the scanner details open on the right, click on the “Open Scanner”-button
- now, the built-in macOS scanner-app will open and it will immediately do a preview scan of whatever is in the scanner
NOTE : you might run into a small problem every once in a while ; when the automatic scanning preview starts, you might get an error saying “Scanner reported an error – Cannot communicate with scanner for these reasons: – Scanner is turned off. – USB cable is disconnected. Please check and try again.” If so, just flip the scanner’s ON/OFF-switch in OFF-position manually and then back into ON-posistie. That should help in making the scanner preview work again.
That’s it !