I just got a new iPhone, and now I want my child to have my previous iPhone. However, I want to clean out all my content before giving the iPhone away, so my child can start with a clean new iPhone.
Is there an easy way to do that ?
Yes, doing so is rather easy, but it can only be done this simply if you can access the iPhone using the previous owner’s login (to prevent stolen iPhones from being erased before they can be traced).
For a quick ‘clean install’ of your iPhone (or iPad), just do this :
- login to the iPhone using the previous (or actually still ‘current’) user’s login-pin or fingerscan
- open the Settings app
- in the Settings page that opens, scroll down a little and click on General
- in the General page that opens, scroll down to the bottom an click on Reset
- in the Reset page that opens, click on “Erase All Content and Settings”
- now follow all directions given on your iPhone, then wait while it’s being reset
- finally, the iPhone will reboot and you will have a ‘virgin-like’ iOS
Now, your child can start with a clean iPhone 😉
BEWARE : if you are donating your iPhone to charity or to someone you don’t know too well or to someone your don’t trust 100%, do not use this simple method to clean your iPhone ! as it does not fully protect you from people still being able to get some of your old data from your iPhone… (…and steal your photo’s, credit card info or even identity) ; in that case, hook your iPhone up to a computer and erase it’s memory with multiple overwrites (7 or more overwrites is considered ‘safe’) before doing a new install of iOS ; note that you might need extra software to do so