I have a 2020 MacBook Pro and some of the keys on the keyboard are completely unreadable since sweaty and greasy fingers have ‘eaten’ away the black and white paint. The MacBook Pro is still working great, so is there any way to replace just the keys / keycaps and not the entire keyboard ?
Yes there is !
And it is actually very simple, if you know how to do it.
First, you will need new keycaps. You can get them from a broken MacBook Pro 2020 of course, but you can also buy new ones ( note : if you are fine with just replacing the letter keycaps since the rest of the keys are still okay, you don’t have to worry about the keyboard layouts ( like QWERTY, AZERTY, QWERTZ ) of the keycaps you’re buying, but if you also need specific irregularly shaped or printed keycaps, you have to pay attention to the keyboard layout of the keycaps ) online at Amazon e.g. :
US keyboard keycaps for MacBook Pro 2020 (Amazon affiliate link)
US keyboard keycaps for MacBook Pro 2020 (Amazon.co.uk affiliate link)
DE keyboard keycaps for MacBook Pro 2020 (Amazon.de affiliate link) ; can be rearranged to QWERTY or AZERTY
To get a keycap off, do this :
- slide your fingernail ( note : if you have artificial and/or weak fingernails, use a spudger-tool ) under the top right edge of the keycap
- then slide your fingernail (of Uspudger-tool) to the top left edge of the keycap
- the top of the keycap will now loosen
- now, flip the keycap toward you and it will pop out
note : since you now have the keycap off, you now have the opportunity to clean out any debris (like dust, hairs and bread crumbs) from under the keycap – just make sure you don’t accidentally break the key’s mechanism
To place a new keycap back, do this :
- hold the keycap in a slight angle compared to the keyboard
- place the bottom of the keycap in place first
- then, gently press the top the keycap back into place (you will hear/feel a soft click)
- now, check if the keycap is in place as intended – if not, take the keycap off entirely (using the above instructions) and do a new attempt to place it properly
That’s it !