Someone just sent me a file over WeTransfer. After downloading it turns out to be a .zip-file, but when I double-click on it to unzip as usual, the Archive Utility does start the unzipping but ends in an error each time, claiming the .zip-file is broken.
I’m pretty sure the .zip-file isn’t broken… what can I do ?
Even though OSX/macOS’s built-in Archive Utility is your default choice for zipping and unzipping files and folders, it turn out not to be the best choice for unzipping. (Especially .zip-files created on Windows PCs seem to be problematic every now and then…)
The solution is simple : just use an other app to unzip.
To install & use another app to unzip do this :
- download a FREE zip/unzip-app from the Mac AppStore
- after installation, lookup the .zip-file on your Mac ( it will probably still be in your Downloads folder or on your Desktop )
- right-click on the .zip-file’s icon and select “Open with…” from the pop-up menu
- then choose your zip/unzip-app from the list
- …and wait for the file to unzip
That’s it ! enjoy 😉