Lately, whenever I try to take a photo with my iPhone, all I get is a black screen.
I am using the pre-installed Camera-app in iOS.
How can I get this fixed ?
There are two known software causes for this ‘black screen’-issue (so apart from hardware problems like broken iPhones) :
solution #1 :
If you have just used your camera in another app (e.g. WhatsApp) and you then switched to the standard iOS Camera.app, you might run into a black screen because the camera is still being claimed by the previous app…
The fix for this is easy : close down the iOS Camera.app and the other app that was using your camera, then re-open the iOS Camera.app ; to do so :
- double-clicking on the Menu-button below the screen (in the next view you’ll be able to browse through windows of all open apps)
- close all apps that are using your iPhone’s camera (by swiping the windows of those apps you want to close upward)
- then return to normal view by clicking the Menu-button once
- and when done, re-open the iOS Camera-app
solution #2 :
The black screen issue in Camera.app has been reported as a bug in earlier versions of iOS 9, so fixing it is simply done by updating your iPhone to the latest version of iOS 9 (or iOS 10).
To do so :
- on your iPhone, go to Settings –> General –> Software Update
- you will most likely see that you don’t have the latest version of iOS
- activate the update to the latest version of iOS
…that’s it 😉