I just bought the best dashcam I could find for an affordable price : the Xiaomi 70mai A800 4K Ultra HD video with WiFi, GPS and ADAS driver assistance built-in.
I want to make sure I have the latest available firmware on the dashcam to enable all available features…
How do I install the latest A800-firmware ?
Aside from all the great features already included in the Xiaomi 70mai A800 dashcam, user-friendly do-it-yourself firmware upgrades are also available to enable even more new features.
First, make sure you are using the right iOS-app : you need the 70mai (Worldwide) app that can be downloaded here.
Now, connect your iPhone to the 70mai WiFi-network and open the 70mai.app. If you have problems connecting to the 70mai WiFi-network, see this post.
Then, open the 70mai.app and do this to upgrade the firmware :
- make sure you are on the 70mai.app’s main page (the window labeled “70mai” with a picture of a blue car and your 70mai Dash Cam A800 listed below it)
- if the 70mai.app opens in the “70mai Dash Cam”-window with the current video stream of the dashcam and the “Take Photo” and “Album”-buttons below it, click the “<“-button top-left and in the “Exit the dash cam homepage?”-popup, click “OK”
- in the “70mai”-window, make sure that at “Device” it says “Connected”
- if “Not conneted” is listed, click on it
- the “70mai Dash Cam”-window will open and the connection will be re-established
- then, return to the “70mai”-window by clicking on the “<“-button top-left and in the “Exit the dash cam homepage?”-popup, click “OK”
- back in the “70mai”-window, click the person-icon top-left
- in the slide-in window click on “My Devices”
- in the “My Devices”-window, click on “70mai Dash Cam A800”
- in the next window (also called “My Devices”), click “Firmware Update”
- when the “Firmware update”-window opens, follow the on-screen instructions to upgrade the firmware to the latest version
…that’s it !
Note #1 : you can adjust various dashcam settings (like the Speaker Volume, Video Resolution, Parking Surveillance, ADAS Driver Assistance, etc.) by clicking on the 3dot-icon top-right in the “70mai Dash Cam A800”-screen (where you can see the current video stream from the dashcam with the “Take Photo” and “Album”-buttons below it).
Note #2 : this firmware update will use your iPhone’s 4G/5G-data connection to your telecom provider to do download the firmware upgrade, so make sure you have a 4G/5G-enabled data connection ! [ thanks to Majo – see replies – for pointing this out ]