I am looking for a USB-C hub to extend the ports on my iPad Pro. I found this Satechi USB-C hub that is designed for the 2018 Mac mini that looks like an interesting option.
Does the iPad Pro work with this Satechi USB-C hub ?
Simply put : Yes, the Satechi USB-C hub for Mac mini works with iPad Pro, but…
What does work :
- the iPad Pro will recognize the following devices when plugged into the Satechi hub :
- a mini-jack headphone
- a USB-keyboard
- a wireless RF-keyboard (connected through a USB-dongle)
- a micoSD memory card
What doesn’t work :
- the Satechi hub’s USB-C port can not be used to charge the iPad Pro
- the Satechi hub’s USB-C connection cable is too short (when the iPad Pro is in the official Bluetooth keyboard-stand the Satechi hub will not be able to stand on it’s four feet, it will hang from the connection cable)
- the Satechi hub’s size is large, mainly to fit under a Mac mini and to house a cooling fan, both are completely useless for an iPad Pro… is just too bulky
Final advise : even though it works okay, do not buy this Satechi USB-C hub if you want to use it with an iPad Pro primarily.
That’s it. Sorry. 😉
NOTE : the Satechi USB-C hub works great with the space grey Mac mini (2018 and newer).